Wednesday, October 12, 2011

3. Tell us about your work environment and supervisors. How many people do you work with? What is great about it and what isn’t?

The lab I worked with in total had 6 people which included the Principle Investigator who ran the lab, a grad student, a post doctoral student, and two MD/PHD program students. Everyone was so friendly and willing to help and answer any questions I had. I liked having the small group environment and getting to know everyone personally. It was also nice on a networking basis to be able to get to know the head of the lab so that I could request a letter of recommendation. Everyone’s schedules were also variable and as long as you got your work done you would come into lab at any time. The part that wasn't the best about the lab experience was needing to participate in weekly lab meetings where articles and current work was discussed. I was put on the spot on many occasions to answer questions way outside of my knowledge, but I guess in the end it was good practice for being in a real lab!

No comments:

Post a Comment