Tuesday, April 17, 2012

1. Tell us about yourself. What is your major and class standing? Where is your internship located and how did you get it?

My name is Charli Godshall and I am a senior chemistry major. I am interested in going right into the workforce after I graduate, so my independent study adviser suggested that I look for an internship for credit during my last semester. In my major, and generally in the sciences, internships are completed over the summer in the form of research opportunities. So, I didn't know where to start to find a company that would take me over a semester for only a limited number of hours (about 10 a week for one credit). The first thing that I did was go to Coffee and Connections, which was hosted by the Career Center. Here I actually met an alumni that offered me a position in his company for the semester. However, his company was located an hour from campus, and that would have been too far a drive. Next, I went to Google and typed in "Analytical Laboratories Bethlehem." I clicked on the map and all of the labs in the area showed up. I made a list of all the labs and looked at their websites. After I determined which ones would be best, I started cold calling them and asking if they were interested in having a free intern. The first few places I called were either not what I was looking for or not interested. I finally called Silliker Labs, located in Allentown and only 20 minutes from campus. The receptionist directed me to the corporate office in Chicago. Once on the phone, I talked with Katherine, who is the head of recruiting. She asked me to send her my resume and expectations for the internship. She told me that she would contact the chemistry manager, Sara, at the Allentown location to see if she was interested. When she finally called me back (which seemed like an eternity later but was really only a few hours) she was pleased to say that Sara was more than happy to have me if I was interested. Sara has told me that what piqued her interest was the fact that I knew what I wanted and went after it and I truly believe that my initiative to call companies is what really got me my internship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment